Minutes of UKCORR committee meetings are now available.
The role of Chair involves:
- leading on the strategic direction, operational planning and political stance for the Group, with support from the Committee
- acting as a spokesperson for UKCORR to stakeholders and the community, liaising with Jisc, UUK, publishers and others
- sitting on Committees and projects groups as invited (and as thought politic by the Committee)
- chairing the monthly committee meetings, and the UKCORR Members’ Days
- leading on drafting responses to consultations and other relevant policy and political movements in the area; and responsible for collating feedback to the drafts from the membership, and updating the responses as appropriate
- the Chair is often the most publicly visible part of UKCORR, so requests for membership of groups, committees and events should come to the Chair. These are then shared with other members of the Committee as appropriate
Nicola Dowson – UKCORR Chair
Nicola is Senior Library Manager for research support at the Open University.
Her role involves working in partnership across the University to develop products and services that support the University’s research activity.
This includes responsibility for the University’s institutional publications repository Open Research Online (ORO) and promoting open access.
The role of the UKCORR Secretary involves:
- organising regular Committee meetings, including requesting availability and setting meeting dates; and requesting agenda items, collating and circulating committee meeting agendas (meetings are usually 1 hour long, held online and every 6-8 weeks)
- keeping meetings to time, and taking notes, capturing actions and circulating these to Committee members
- maintaining records on UKCORR Committee processes and tools and acting as a list owner for the “UKCORR-COMMITTEE” JISCMail list
- managing UKCORR’s membership processes and records, and acting as a list owner for the “UKCORR-DISCUSSION” JISCMail list (this includes maintaining the membership list; dealing with requests to join UKCORR in a timely way, and in accordance with UKCORR’s membership guidelines – http://ukcorr.org/membership/email-list/; and disseminating membership updates to the “UKCORR-DISCUSSION” JISCMail list)
- contributing to the general work of the Committee and UKCORR, including planning and participating in Members’ days
Annette Ramsden – UKCORR Secretary
Annette is Scholarly Communications and Repository Manager at UCLAN.
UKCORR External Liaison Officer
The External Liaison Officer acts as a contact point for UKCORR’s external relations. The role involves:
- sending emails, writing blog posts and other announcements, both to the UKCORR mailing list but also to other Scholarly Communications organisations (CILIP, UKSG, Jisc etc.) with UKCORR’s news
- disseminating incoming emails/requests to appropriate UKCORR members to respond
- occasionally providing presentations and webinars on behalf of UKCORR, and representing the Committee at events and meetings
- following updates from other Scholarly Communications organisations, engaging with them and discovering collaboration opportunities
- participating in regular committee meetings
- promoting UKCORR’s tweets and other communication activities
- assisting with the organisation of Members’ Days
Leigh Stork – External Liaison Officer
Leigh is Research Services lead at the University of Aston.
UKCORR Technical Officer
The role of Technical Officer requires a good knowledge of repository software and Current Research Information Systems, relevant protocols and standards (e.g. OAI-PMH, SWORD, RIOXX etc.), along with an understanding of the broader scholarly communications ecosystem and relevant service providers (e.g. ORCID, Jisc Publication Router, CORE, Europe PMC, IRUS-UK etc.)
The role involves:
- maintaining the visibility of UKCORR as a source of technical expertise in the sector, by:
- acting as a point of contact for technical aspects of repository development for the UKCORR membership and wider community
- commenting on technical issues as they relate to repositories, open access and scholarly communication via the mailing list, UKCORR blog and other suitable outlets
- contributing to members’ events from a technical perspective
- liaising with other key stakeholders on technical developments, notably Jisc, and contributing to their consultation and outreach events
George Macgregor – Technical Officer
George is the Repository Coordinator at the University of Strathclyde.
His interests are in structured open data (esp. within Semantic Web and repository contexts), information retrieval, distributed digital repositories and human-computer interaction (HCI).
He supports the development of repository infrastructure at Strathclyde as well as supporting institutional activities in the areas of open science and digital scholarship.
Prior to his current role George worked in digital library research and academia.
UKCORR Web & Publicity Officer
The role involves:
- Updating the UKCORR website
- Developing the resource to ensure it remains relevant to members
- Actively engaging members to share information and knowledge
- Managing an active knowledge base of community resources
Chris Manning – Web & Publicity Officer
Chris is the Digital Services & Collections Librarian at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. One of Chris’ remits is overseeing the Research Publications team at LSHTM which runs the Institutional Repository, LSHTM Research Online and supports Open Access and Scholarly Communication at the School.
Social Media Officer
The Social Media Officer brings a coherent strategy to UKCORR’s social media output.
The role involves:
- The lead for the UKCORR Social Media group, directing the group in contributing to different activities and creating content
- Maximising platforms such as twitter, in providing information to members and shaping UKCORR as a central resource across the community for open access and wider scholarly communication
- Organising content for the UKCORR blog
- Creating content for UKCORR and distributing this using platforms such as YouTube and slideshare
Anisha Ahmed, Social Media Officer
Anisha works at the Medical Research Council.
Committee Members ‘without portfolio’
During 2017, as part of promoting and expanding the work of UKCORR, the decision was taken to expand the Committee to enable a wider range of activities to be undertaken. This led to the creation of the group of committee members who serve without a specific portfolio.
Current Committee Members serving ‘without portfolio’ are:
- Jenny Basford, British Library (formerly External Liaison Officer 2018-2021)
- Thom Blake, University of York
- Yvonne Budden, University of Warwick
- Ellen Cole, Northumbria University
- Bev Jones, University of Sheffield
- Stuart Lawson, Edinburgh Napier University
- Catherine Sharp, University College London
- Nick Sheppard, University of Leeds
- Alison Sutton, University of Reading
- Galia Umansky
Past UKCORR Committee Members
- Tracy Colborne, without portfolio, 2021 -2022
- Stephanie Meece, without portfolio, 2016-2021
- Arthur Smith, UKCORR Secretary, February 2017 – January 2021
- Suzanne Atkins, without portfolio, 2016-2021
- Yvonne Budden, UKCORR Chair, August 2012 – January 2018
- Nancy Pontika, UKCORR External Liaison Officer, August 2013-January 2018
- Nick Sheppard, UKCORR Technical Officer, May 2010 – January 2018
- Nicola Siminson, UKCORR Secretary, April 2014 – January 2018
- Paul Stainthorp, UKCORR Web & Publicity Officer, 2012 – 2016
- Katie Evans, UKCORR Secretary, September 2012 – April 2014
- Anne Spalding, UKCORR External Liaison Officer, Jan 2013 – August 2013
- Dominic Tate, UKCORR External Liaison Officer, March 2009 – January 2013
- Jackie Wickham, UKCORR Secretary, July 2011 – August 2012
- Gareth J. Johnson, UKCORR Chair, March 2011 – August 2012
- Graham Stone, UKCORR Chair, April 2010 – March 2011
- Nicky Cashman, UKCORR Secretary, December 2009 – July 2011
- Jenny Delasalle, UKCORR Chair, March 2009 – March 2010
- Mary Robinson, UKCORR Secretary, March 2009 – November 2009